During the summer when Nick and I lived in San Francisco we had dinner with close friends of ours, Nicole and Kevin, every Tuesday after work. Occasionally we made tacos, experimented with new recipes, and cooked some old family favorites!
Since We moved to Burlingame, and work hours haven't been "so regular" Tuesday night "family dinners" have been few and far between until tonight!!!
Below is my recipe for amazing Tacos- enjoyable any night of the week!!!
What you'll need:
- Your Choice of Tortilla: I prefer whole wheat corn, Nick likes the standard Corn Tortilla
- Lettuce, spinach, or cabbage (choose 1)
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Mix
- Salsa: I prefer Fire Roasted Spicy. You can substitute hot sauce: Valentina is great! Or home made Salsa.
- Choice of meat: Carne Asada, Shredded Chicken, Ground Beef
- Brown Rice- Quinoa is a great substitute for the brown rice.
- Black Beans
- Canola Oil
- Sour Cream
- Paper Towels
- Cook the rice or Quinoa according to package instructions
- Heat the beans
- In a small frying pan, fill 1/4 inch with Canola Oil and put on Medium heat. (This is for crisping the tortillas)
- You can tell when the oil is ready by sticking the end of a wooden spoon in the oil, when you see tiny bubbles form, the oil is at the right temperature.
- Fry each tortilla individually, about 20 seconds on each side (or until lightly crispy) lay on a paper towel to soak up extra oil. Repeat.
- I usually create a "salad bar" style for all the toppings for easy serving.
- Layer the hot tortillas with cheese first, then meat (this will ensure the cheese gets nice and melted.)
- Then add all the toppings you like and drizzle with a squirt of lime!