Sunday, May 8, 2011

Things my Grandma Taught Me

As I may have said before, probably more than once, my Grandma Dorio has taught me so much in the kitchen- baking especially!!!  Every time I bake something, I think of her and the baking tips she has given me throughout the years. 

Tonight I made a few things: Peach Blueberry Pie - no sugar added.  Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice and Cinnamon Twists!

Peach Blueberry Pie:
  • Pie Crust- use your favorite recipe, or the store bought kind.  I cheated tonight and used the store bought kind from Trader Joes. 
  • 4 Peaches, skinned and sliced thinly 
  • 1-2 Cups of Blueberries 
  • 2 Spoonfuls of Cinnamon
  • A few dashes of Nutmeg
  • A few dashes of ground Cloves 
  • A spoonful of Honey

Mix the fruit with the cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves. Then add in the honey and mix one more time. Spread the fruit evenly over the bottom layer pie crust and cover with the other crust.  Trim the excess crust and set aside. Press down the edges with a moist fork, and wrap the crust with tin foil (grandma tip!) It keeps the crust from burning.

Bake at 357 for about 1 hour.


Cinnamon Twists:

With the extra pie crust, roll out into a tin layer.  Cut in pie shaped wedges.  Mix in a small bowl some sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Coat the crust with the sugar mixture and roll like a crescent roll.  Bake along side the pie for about 10-15 minutes, or until crunchy,

Now, nothing goes with some good ol pie like fresh squeezed Orange Juice.  This picture is just for fun.  Love my kitchen aid mixer and attachments.  Nick picked out the color after our wedding "it looks so cool, it has the same color and look to it as a TOOL"  love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment